Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Just a Mom



My name is Brooke. I used to be a radio personality. I used to make radio commercials locally. My voice used to be on commercials all over the country. I used to write copy for businesses. I used to create audio drama for the ears. I used to make feature length radio programs. I used to arrange promotional events.

And now I'm just a mom.

Now I feed the baby. Change the baby. Play with the baby. Repeat.

JUST a mom?!

Now I'm the first thing my daughter sees in the morning. Now I'm the one who fills her empty stomach. I'm the one who gets out the second washcloth at bathtime because she's chewing on the first one. I'm the one lets her smear cereal into her hair and behind her ears AFTER bathtime. I'm the one who plays with EVERY toy she has at LEAST three times a day. And then starts over with the first one yet again. I'm the one who changes the major diaper that seems to have blown up her back and around the corner. And I'm the one she looks at with pure joy. I'm the one whose shoulder she lays her head on when she gets sleepy. I'm the one she screams at when she sees something she finds funny. I'm the one who rocks her to sleep at night.

Yep, I'm just a mom. And I'm okay with that.

___________________________________________________________________

My name is Brooke and my daughter Kaelyn was born on April 24th, 2009. I absolutely love to write and since her birth I haven't had much time for anything other than emails. Now that I have a daughter I find the only thing I have to write about is her and my experiences with her. So I thought I'd create a blog to share the parenting experience with others. And someday maybe Kaelyn can read these posts and see what she has put me through!

Everyone always told me how hard being a mother would be. But no one was able to prove what it would actually feel like. The way your heart breaks when you hear your baby scream when she hits her head. The way you rush to her side at the first whimper. The idea that you would gladly lay down in front of a bus to keep her from ever feeling any pain. It's something many people say, but I don't think it's possible to TRULY understand until you're actually in the situation.

When Kaelyn was born I instantly loved her. But I get to know her better and better each day. And with that my love only grows. I never had a clue that I could love someone this much. Of course, I love my husband, but that's a different kind of love. I CHOOSE to love my husband. I GAVE my husband my heart. With my daughter there IS no choice. She IS my heart. It doesn't matter what she does or where she ends up. She will always have my love.

This blog with be a love story for Kaelyn. The good times and the bad. The times when she's the cutest and the times when she frustrates me so much I want to pull my hair out. The best advice I've received is to keep in mind that these times will pass. Someday she'll grow up to be a teenager and think I'm strange just like any other teenager thinks of their parents. So treasure these times as much as possible. Even at 3am when she's all eyes, cooing happily as if it's noon.

To all parents out there, I now understand all you do and have done for your kids. So thank you...I feel your pain...I feel your joy. There's nothing like it and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

1 comment:

  1. Yeay, I'm your first commenter and follower :) I enjoyed your first post and look forward to reading more! Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete