Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine's Day

Kaelyn's first Valentine's Day! Not that she knows or care, really, I guess. But she certainly has enough love in her life to go around!

Monday we went to the Mops Valentine's Day party. We were to bring a treat to share, a decorated box, and Valentine's to distribute. Kaelyn had been playing with an empty kleenex box for over a week so I figured that would make a great box for her valentine's! I put her name on it and called it good. There were some fancy boxes there, but I figure next year Kaelyn can decorate one. This year the kleenex box worked just fine.

She got up early on Monday which worked well. We went for a drive before the party and she took a snooze so she was nice and fresh for the big event. We arrived a little late because she nursed in the car when we got there. All we missed was games, though, and that worked fine because Kaelyn isn't old enough to play much anyways! The party was at the library so there was story time. Kaelyn didn't pay much attention to the story, she was busy playing with my name tag, but at least she didn't fight with the other kids or talk real loud like some of them! I'm sure there was SOME kids paying attention, but it didn't really sound like it! :)

After that kids colored and I let Kaelyn throw some valentine's and crayons off a chair. She was thrilled. After that it was Valentine distribution time and snack time. Kaelyn was a big help in the valentine part, as you can imagine. She just kept wanting to throw her valentine's on the floor instead of putting them in the boxes. I got a plate of food for me, but she had more fun with it than I did. I did let her try little bites of cheese and she actually seemed to enjoy that. But I got a cookie for me and she enjoyed that too. No, she didn't eat it, just held it, crumbled it, and threw it on the floor.

I was worried since there was going to be around 24 kids there, that Kaelyn wouldn't like the commotion, but she enjoyed herself immensely. After the eating etc I just let her crawl around and push a chair across the room, bang on the table, slap the metal chair, watch the kids. She did great. I think I even made a new friend while we were there. When I was on the floor with Kaelyn a little girl I'd never seen before plopped herself in my lap. I'm not sure if she liked me...Kaelyn...or Kaelyn's valentine box which she kept digging through.

Kaelyn got tired of the partying after an hour and a half so we headed home for lunch and had fun the rest of the day. Another highlight of the day was mail time! There was a nice big box in the mail from my good college friend Stana with Valentine's presents for Kaelyn.
These pictures are her reactions to those presents. Typical kid, she wasn't so into the clothes, but she loved the teddy bear, has been flipping through the book, and enjoys throwing the letters everywhere. I need to hang the letters on the fridge because they're a major choking hazard. Kaelyn doesn't really put things in her mouth, but you never know. And a magnet is about the worst thing you can swallow. But I've let her play with them for alittle while and keep a close eye on it. She loves dumping them all out and making a nice big mess!

Sean's parents were also up over the weekend and Kaelyn played nicely with them. They brought her a valentine's day bib which I can't seem to actually USE because it's so cute and so clean! And they gave her a couple of books too. She's strange about books, she has to warm up to them. She wasn't impressed with the books THAT day, but ever since then we flip through them dozens of times a day and she just loves them. Especially the little puppy one. I hear my parents have a Valentine's present for Kaelyn too that she will get THIS weekend. My goodness, not even a huge present-giving holiday and she's getting showered with love! :)

On another note, Kaelyn is getting more and more mobile. She'll crawl off the carpeted areas now onto linoleum and turn around and look back at me like look where I am! Yes, she even bangs the cupboards. So far she hasn't discovered there are fun things INSIDE cupboards, but she will soon enough I'm sure! She likes to walk when holding on to something like a hand or a table-sized toy. She'll push things all the way across the room and back again. Yesterday on several occasions she even took 2-3 steps alone before she realized what she was doing and plopped to the ground to crawl again. She's on her way to full mobility, I'm afraid! My little girl is growing up!

We had a fun day today. This morning we went to my friend Andrea's house. She has a son just a little over a year older than Kaelyn. I'm sure Andrea and I enjoy getting together more than the kids do at this point, but they like it too. They can get into each others toys and have something new to play with for awhile. Kaelyn got up at the PERFECT time this morning, around 6:20. I knew she'd be ready for a nap JUST in time for our drive to Andrea's house. Therefore, she fell back asleep nursing and slept another HOUR. Figures. So she didn't nap at all on the drive. She was still fun at their house for an hour and a half or so before she got screamy from being tired. I distracted her as long as I could because I didn't want to leave, but I had to hit the road before 11 to get Kaelyn a car nap. At least we got to play and chat for a little while! Those that aren't stay at home parents may not understand how much even just a LITTLE time with someone else helps the day flow better! It makes time go SO much faster so I'm really glad Andrea and I have these play dates. Even if they ARE really more for us than the kids! :)

Valentine's Day has never really been THAT big of a day to me. I've always felt like it's more of a holiday invented by card makers etc then anything. But it's a good chance to make sure people you love know it as well. Not necessarily with cards and flowers and all that jazz. Even just the simple words or a nice gesture is enough. I hope Kaelyn knows I love her! I tell her plenty. Sometimes she giggles. Sometimes she pushes me away. And sometimes she puts her head on my shoulder for a snuggle. Someday she'll be big enough to understand what I mean when I tell her I love her. Until then, I'll keep saying it and waiting for the day she can say it back. But it doesn't matter what she says, she's stuck with my love! Valentine's Day or not!



No comments:

Post a Comment