Saturday, December 12, 2009

Working Girl

I work in radio so you can understand the importance of quiet in the background. Usually my mom will come watch Kaelyn so I can work here and there but this past week there was a large snow storm. There are still 14 inches stacked on our deck. In fact, a train even derailed blocking the entrance to our neighborhood! Don't worry, there's another way out. It's a far way around on dirt and gravel roads (all covered with snow) but there IS a way out. However, I sent my 4 wheel drive car with my husband so he could get around and that REALLY stranded me and Kaelyn. Which was okay because who wants to take a baby out in a snow storm!

Anyways, since my mom was unable to make it, Kaelyn and I decided to attempt work on our own on Friday. We ventured out Thursday, finally, our first outing since church Sunday, really. Since we survived the errand run Thursday we drove all the way to west Omaha Friday to work. I wasn't really sure how it was going to work out. I took Kaelyn's umbrella stroller because sometimes at home when I do laundry or whatever I'll put her in that so she can play and I can drag her around. I put a bunch of toys in the basket beneath and off we went. I also took the tummy pack just in case.

When we arrived at work I decided to take the elevator to the second floor instead of my normal stair route due to all of the gear we had packed! We ran into a co-worker of mine and she rode up with us. She just barely LOOKED at Kaelyn and Kaelyn started screaming. I was like oh no, this is NOT going to go well! But in her defense, we were in a new place, Kaelyn had JUST woken up from a nice car ride, she wasn't sure what was going on.

When I got into the studio I set Kaelyn up in the umbrella stroller and she was rather scared. She sat there and didn't MOVE for like 20 minutes. Which was good for me because I got a lot of work done! She just stared at me. I tried to talk to her and reassure her. She wasn't crying, just staring me down! After awhile she started showing interest in the toys I put on her little tray. And after she discovered those she started beating them on the wall. And throwing them to the ground for me to pick up. Nice of her. So I picked them up and she threw them and I picked them up and she threw them and so on. Believe it or not I was actually getting some work done in the meantime!

About halfway through what I REALLY needed to get done Kaelyn got restless and no longer liked the confines of the stroller. I thought maybe if I held her I could get a little farther. That worked...somewhat. Because she decided it was fun to try and grab the keyboard...the microphone...the pretty buttons on the board...whatever else was handy and NOT a good thing for a baby to touch when a mama is trying to work! Despite the added help I somehow managed to get done what I had to get done.


Then the fun part began and we walked around visiting with people and handing out Christmas cards. Kaelyn was more used to her surroundings by then and though she was still very cuddly with me, she was much more charming and happy. She helped me hand out the cards, though I must admit, she didn't really want to give them up once we got to the right person. She was having way too much fun flinging them around herself. Everyone had a good time seeing her and commented on her big blue eyes. I guess I'm used to them so I don't notice so much, but they are rather big and rather blue!


I don't think Kaelyn will come to work with me every time. IT was definitely more of a challenge than just the normal workload. But at least I know when the snow falls, it CAN be done. Despite the extra help I had on hand, the work did get done!

1 comment:

  1. That is a cute picture of her beautiful big blue eyes! I also loved that picture in your last post of her in her winter coat! :)

    Way to go taking her to work, I can imagine it wasn't the most relaxing time but it sounds like it went as good as possible!

    ReplyDelete