Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009

Wow, another year is behind us, can you believe it? And what a year it was. I learned quite a few things this year...in no particular order.

-Emptying the diaper box is the source of endless joy to an 8 month old. Especially if I try to keep the diapers IN the box as she takes them out.

-My skin can stretch to the maximum and not explode! I really thought it might burst towards the end of my pregnancy with Kaelyn.

-Heartburn is an awful awful thing. Especially when you're pregnant and exhausted and it keeps you awake.

-Kaelyn loves to pound on anything and everything. But for some reason she only uses her thumb. I want to find out why that is in 2010!

-People can run on very little sleep. Though things may be fuzzy and you may not remember what all you did by the end of the day, it IS possible!

-Babies are the hardest job and the biggest joy. I can go from SO frustrated and frazzled to feeling SUCH huge amounts of love, it's amazing.

-There's nothing like watching the peaceful sleeping face of your baby. There's just nothing like it.

-I learned how to do numerous things one handed. Some of them even pretty well! Cooking, baking, cleaning, you name it and I've probably tried it. Anything safe, that is. I never let her help me with the oven or the grill or anything!

-How toys can go from organized in a basket to a complete toy explosion in 5 minutes flat. You should see the living room right now. Not only toys but bits of cut up pictures EVERYWHERE. I was working on cutting some pictures for Kaelyn's book and to distract her from the pictures I gave her the clippings. She enjoyed that a little too much.

-How heartbreaking it is to hear your baby cry and not know what to do to fix it.

-How fulfilling it is to hear your baby cry and be ABLE to fix it.

-I learned what unconditional love is. I always thought I knew but I don't think I ever really experienced it until now. Kaelyn can do a lot of things to make me want to scream, but there's nothing she could do to make me stop loving her.

-Wearing sleep pants for days on end is actually pretty comfortable. Even if I did start getting looks from the neighbors. And my husband!

-Motherhood can be really isolating. Sure, you're never really alone, but without someone to respond to you (other than babbles and yelling) you can feel really lonely.

-You can really get NOTHING done and feel like you've done TONS in a day. Take today, I had all sorts of projects I needed to get done. I wanted to get some mail items taken care of. I needed to do some baking. I would have liked to get those pictures in KAelyn's book. We had some errands to run. We did one errand and cut up some pictures for the book and that was that. We played and played and played. It's hard to say that we did much of anything, but I sure feel like it was a long day!

-Silly games are the best kind. Yesterday I made up a new game. Sort of. Kaelyn helped. I put a burp cloth on the couch. She rips it off and throws it to the floor, then looks at me all mischevious. "What did you do?!" I say in a silly voice and she just squeals. Repeat. For an hour. It was still fun later that evening, believe it or not. For her anyways. And anytime she squeals I'm happy too.

-I learned so much this year but the most important thing was I learned how to be a mom. I think that's something I'll be saying again in 2010 and the years to come. It's not something I'll ever STOP learning, but I feel like I'm a passable mom now. Kaelyn is surviving, maybe even thriving.

-I learned I can't wait to see the next stages in Kaelyn's life. She's standing and trying oh so hard to take steps when holding on to things. I've learned how amazing little lives are. The way they take everything in and observe and are so curious. I can't wait to play make believe with her. She's got quite an imagination, I can tell.

There is so much more to 2009. It's been the biggest life-changing year in my existence. I think anyone who has a child would agree. Getting married is huge but having a baby is HUGER. :) My life is no longer my own because I've dedicated it to Kaelyn. My husband can take care of himself if he has to. Someday Kaelyn will too. But for now, my life is in her hands to monopolize as she wishes! Someday it'll be returned to me and I know at that time I won't regret giving her what I am giving her now. In the year 2009, 2010, and beyond.



No comments:

Post a Comment