Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January is a cool month for a birthday

Happy Birthday to Sean as of January 4th. He said his New Year's resolution every year is to not age anymore and then four days later he always breaks that resolution. I have to feel sort of sorry for him because he spends MANY a birthdays outside shoveling in the driveway. I remember not even leaving the house a few years ago because it was so snowy. This year he didn't have such luck and had to go to work on the big day. But when he got home that night I grilled steaks for him, made tater tots, and even had some blonde brownies, quite a treat. I don't get much baking done with Kaelyn always around to help!

So Sean is a big 35 now. I also have to feel sorry for him for marrying so young. I won't be 30 until June so he always feels like the old one in the house. What do you do! He knew my age when he picked me! :) Sometimes we talk about how we met and when we met etc. and how weird it would have been had we met earlier. We met when I was a senior in college and Sean was working in Omaha. I was 20 and he was 25. But what if we'd met when he was in high school? I would have still been in grade school!! I think both of our parents would have raised an eyebrow or two about that! :)

So how did we meet? Well, that's quite a story! I had had a boyfriend at college who I had just broken up with over the summer before my senior year. Nice guy, genuine person, but I was getting really annoyed by everything he did and said so I just knew it wasn't right. A few months later my friends were like, hey Brooke, you aren't dating anyone, you should be dating someone. Not sure why they thought so. Maybe they were tired of me hanging around so often! :) And the internet and email and chatting online was all the rage so I started talking to people through yahoo's chat program. I really don't remember how I ran across Sean but we started chatting back and forth and then we started emailing back and forth and he sent me some pictures of himself and his family. I thought he was way cute. But I was a little internet-dumb so I didn't know how to send pictures of myself. He therefore, had NO idea what I looked like. At one point he gave me his phone number and one Friday night when ALL of my friends had other plans (mostly dates!) I called him. We talked for four hours. After the first 30 minutes, my calling card ran out of minutes so he called me back and we continued talking until the wee hours in the morning. Looking back on that now, that's pretty funny because Sean's a quiet sort of fellow. I really ought to remind him of how chatty he was then! During that conversation we decided we should meet sometime.

In the days that followed we decided to meet in a few weeks in his town. I was going to college an hour and a half away but happened to have a weekend job at a radio station in the town HE lived in. I didn't have to work that weekend, but a friend of mine wanted to visit his family in that same town anyways so we decided we'd drive there, I'd drop him at his family's house, meet Sean, and that way if Sean was crazy and I never picked my friend BACK up... :) Just kidding. We met at the radio station where there was someone else working anyways, so I wasn't in too terribly much danger.

Just to show off Sean drove his baby blue 56 cadillac to meet me. I heard that thing coming a mile away. When he got out of the car I thought, "dang!" Sean looks nice in pictures but honestly, pictures don't do him justice, he's a good looking dude. I remember also noticing his sweatshirt was pushed up on his arms. I don't know why I noticed that, but it's still something I remember to this day.


I think I picked my friend back up at 4am and got back home at like 6am. It was a long date! We played some games and got to know each other and were having SUCH a great time it was hard to leave. After that the emails REALLY started to fly and I visited him everytime I was back in town, which, after a few months, started to be three times a week due to my job. Once I graduated from college I moved and took a full time job at the same station and Sean and I continued to see each other. The following Christmas he emailed me a proposal and apparently I said yes and the rest is history. That's the short version of our meeting, I'll have to expand farther another time. The moral of the story is love knows no age! :)



I've always known I would probably end up with an older guy. I think I only ever dated ONE guy my age and ONE guy a year younger. Everyone else I dated or was interested in was at least a year older, usually more. I think it's a maturity thing. I have an older mind so my mind meets up better with the mind of an older guy. Something like that.



Unfortunately, Sean had to work all day on his birthday. And it was bitterly cold. And Kaelyn had a bad night the night before so she was a major grump all evening. Otherwise I'm sure it was a lovely day for him. We gave him a really cool picture blown up poster size that he took of himself on his motorcycle (which he has since sold to buy a camper...a little more family friendly.) He placed it on the mantel for now, but hopefully we'll get a frame for it and hang it in the basement or something. Not that I mind it, it's a cool picture.

So Happy birthday Sean, may the next 35 years be even better. I'll let you know what it feels like to be 35 in another 5 1/2 years when I get there...hahaha

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your great love story! :) The part about him talking to you for hours despite him being a quiet guy reminds me of Joe only with e-mail - we spent our first summer e-mailing back and forth every single day so I had no idea he hated to write and would never end up e-mailing me again in the 9.5 years since! :p

    ReplyDelete