Thursday, January 7, 2010

Growing Up



Kaelyn is growing up. Fast. There are a few things she's not ready for yet. She's too big for the baby bathtub now. It's really pretty funny how much she hangs out. She's overflowing in that thing. But when I tried to put her in the big tub without it, boy did she scream at me! I got out the baby bathtub again REAL fast! She's all smiles again. I'm not sure how to transition to the big bathtub, but I think I'm going to have to do it pretty soon or start bathing her one foot at a time, one arm at a time, etc. She just won't all fit in there at once not too long from now!

She's standing really well now and wants to stand CONSTANTLY. She can stand alone for up to 10 seconds or so before flopping onto her bottom (thank goodness for diapers shielding those little butt bones!) or grabbing on to something. She's constantly pulling herself up on things. I've had to move a few things just these last few days to stop her from pulling them OVER onto herself when she's trying to stand up. Kaelyn may play seated for a few minutes here and there but she'd much rather stand at this point. But when she IS sitting, she's usually crawling. No more setting her on the floor and staying in one place to play. She crawls across the room to get the Desitin, then back for a toy, then over to the linoleum in the kitchen for no reason at all. It's a much more constant motion. When she first started crawling she would only take off if she REALLY wanted something. Now she goes just to go, I think. Just because she can.

I don't know how diapers EVER get changed on kids this age. Kaelyn constantly wants to roll over and take off. Sometimes I get the old diaper off and she takes off, her little nude-y butt waggling at me as she goes. And of course, that's always when the tinkling begins as well. Can't have a naked baby butt and no tinkling! So far she only pooped once without a diaper on, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before that happens again. I have to constantly distract her while changing her if I have ANY hope of keeping her there long enough to get one diaper off, the new one on, and her pants back in place. She's just too busy to be concerned with such things!

She's sleeping a LITTLE better lately. Now that we're back home and in our groove again. She's only been getting up 3 times a night. Eating twice and once just for a few minutes. I think she just likes to check in and make sure I'm still there. I don't have to pick her up I just lay my hand on her and she goes back to sleep. She's over 8 months old now and I don't know if she really NEEDS to eat overnight anymore or not. Sometimes she's gone as long as 7 hours without eating overnight, but that's pretty rare. And she eats regularly every 3 1/2 hours during the day so if she wakes up and it's been 3 1/2 hours or more, I let her eat. She never turns it away! If she wakes up around 5am I usually have to bring her back to bed with me to get her to stay asleep any longer. She'll just roll around in her own bed and yelp every now and then and not really rest. So if either of us have hopes of sleeping more, I have to cocoon her in my arms and pat her until she settles and then hold her tight so she can't wiggle. That happens several mornings a week.

Poor Kaelyn, it's SO cold here right now I finally had her start wearing a coat. She looks like that kid in the movie A Christmas Story. She can't move anything but her eyes. She doesn't usually appreciate putting the coat on much, but I feel like she's quite warm and cozy in there once we get going! If I just put blankets on her she throws them off anyways so that's not going to work in below 0 temperatures!!

She's getting really onery too. Her favorite thing to do is throw things around. Throw the burp cloth off the couch, throw her table toys off her tray, throw little stuffed animals off the chair, throw books around on the floor. The other day I gave her a big pile of coupons and she tossed those around like they were the most fun things in the world! Moving things from place to place is a big deal. And when she's throwing things, like diapers from the box, and KNOWS I'm watching, you should see that little gleam in her eye. She looks at me like, I KNOW I'm being onery! And I react like it's a big deal...HEY, I say, what do you think you're DOING?! And she just squeals and jumps into my lap. Then gets up and does it again as I try to keep up in re-piling things for her to throw!

She's taking little steps here and there when holding on to things. I'm thinking she's going to walk pretty early. Kaelyn is crawling great but she's way more interested in standing at this point and I think she wants to be a big girl and race around. Maybe another couple of months and that could be the case! Then we'll REALLY have to watch out!

Someday all of this will pass and I'll probably look back and miss it. SOME of it. I don't know that getting up at 3am will be something I'll ever look back on in wonderment! But I'll always remember that gleam in her eye as she makes sure I'm watching when she starts pulling diapers out of the box and tossing them around. HEY! I'll say in my silly voice. I love to hear her squeal. I'll pile diapers back all day long if that's what it takes to get a squeal!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the bath tub - we used Logan's baby tub until he was 10 months old! I still change Logan on his changing table because I KNOW he wouldn't have stayed put these 20.5 months otherwise! On my blog I remember writing that Logan changed during his 8th month more than any other - it was one of my favorite months (people used to tease me that I broke down Logan's months in my fav or non fav until a few months ago) and it sounds like it could end up being for you, too!

    ReplyDelete