Friday, September 3, 2010

Molars Stink

I'm not a fan of molars. Sure, they help you chew wonderful food and all but they are just SUCH a pain for a kid! Literally. And I have to say, they've been a pain for me too!

Kaelyn started getting her molars almost a week ago. It was a Saturday and the screaming began at 12:15pm. Of course, 15 minutes AFTER my husband left for a work golf outing, not to return until evening. She very obviously didn't know what she wanted. She wouldn't eat. She wouldn't play nicely. She wouldn't do anything but yell at me, apparently. She'd often come running over to me with her arms up sobbing like pick me up pick me up! So I'd try to pick her up and she'd push me away. Okay... I wanted to help, I really did! But what can you do?! So that day pretty much stank. That was the worst day, but most of the following week she barely ate. Which meant she was cranky. She got bored really easily and yelled at me often for no apparent reason. I could tell her gums were swollen and you could see something (a tooth) pushing up through them but they didn't break through until late in the week. I think the right one is finally most of the way through. One day I could see two of the little prongs and the skin around it looked red and almost a little bloody, the poor thing. No wonder she's out of sorts! I still don't appreciate being yelled at, though. I'm just trying to help! :)

Yesterday we were supposed to meet a friend at the zoo at 9:30. And we DID make it, but just barely. Kaelyn woke up at 8 and proceeded to scream at me until 8:45. She wouldn't eat she wouldn't get down and play she wouldn't do anything but yell. Occasionally cuddle into me and let me rock her, but mostly just scream. Once I finally got a little yogurt on her lips she licked it off and realized that might taste good so she ate the whole container and must have felt better because she had a good time in her (short!) bath and then was really good at the zoo. When we got home she slept for over THREE hours which is unheard of for her! I even went into her room after three hours and put away clothes from the laundry and she didn't stir at all. I never do that because I don't want to wake her but I figured, it'd been THREE hours so if she wakes up oh well! She didn't! And she still went to bed that night at 8 like normal.

Today was much better. Kaelyn ate pretty continuously so I'm hoping she's back on track now. She didn't yell at me much at all without reason so that was nice! She still slept over 2 hours so that was VERY nice. But mostly we just had fun and enjoyed each others company. So I'm hoping that these first two molars were the hard, practice molars and the rest will slide in easily. Because I'm not real sure I want to sign up for another week like this one has been! Can't the rest of them come in overnight unnoticed? Please?

1 comment:

  1. I still say those first molars are the worst. You know my story - Logan got them during his 14th month which even now at 28.5 months was the hardest month as a mom for me! In fact, his final molars (which are bigger) haven't even been as bad. So, I don't know what it is about those first ones -- but hopefully you will have the same experience that I did as far as that being as bad as it gets!

    ReplyDelete