Friday, May 21, 2010

Children's Museum


Yesterday was way rainy. Rain rain rain. That's what the WHOLE day was about. Kaelyn and I were alone all week. My grandpa was staying with my parents for the week AND they were going to go to my cousin's graduation ceremony so my mom didn't come for her normal weekly visit. So Kaelyn and I knew we just HAD to find something to do. So we decided to visit the children's museum. We'd been once before when Kaelyn was REALLY little and I thought now that she was bigger she might enjoy it more.

I was worried that it would be a little busy, being a rainy day and all. I was right. It was rather busy. Everyone else had the same idea. A rainy day, let's get out of the house and do SOMETHING, ANYTHING! So the busyness of the place wasn't pleasant. Lots of kids older than Kaelyn running around, not really paying attention to there being a baby nearby running around. But for the most part it wasn't too bad.

First, Kaelyn enjoyed running the stairs in the playhouse. I thought for awhile that we might be stuck there the whole time. Of course, we come to the museum for something different to do, and she just wants to go up and down the stairs!! Then she discovered the little foam pit at the bottom of the stairs and she liked to step on that repeatedly. After that got mobbed by other kids I moved her to the wiggle room. That's the "under 2" room where you have to take your shoes off and crawl around and play. There were lots of little toys to play with. Kaelyn liked these little plastic pieces with holes in the bottom that you can put together and take apart.

Once she got bored of that we went to the big room with lots of colored balls that you put in various tubes and they blow around. Mostly Kaelyn just wanted to grab a ball and toss it, but I had fun putting them in the tubes! Bigger kids were pretty rowdy in that room. Kaelyn was twisting a wheel at one point and another kid just grabbed it and started twisting it RIGHT in front of her. Good thing she's too little to care, but I was like HEY! :)

Then we found a car/train thing that you could crawl through and push buttons. It seemed like we'd done a lot and it had only been an hour! We went to the family room and had our lunch. Kaelyn was starved. She ate every bite of everything I took. I wished I had taken more just in case! Then we went back to the playing. We pretty much rotated around the same things we had done already. We went to the grocery store section, she LOVED that. Lots of little plastic fruits that she could toss. Some even had holes! And bags of rice that felt funny and sounded funny when you threw them on the ground from their shelves!

And the water area, we looked at that for a little bit. There were LOTS of rubber ducks! One of which Kaelyn brought home, oops! I'm so used to seeing her carry around a rubber duck I didn't even think that the one she had was from the museum and not from home. Until we got home and I found hers on the floor of the car! What do you do. We'll have to take it back next time we go!

I overheard another mom saying the museum was MUCH less busy in the fall and winter so we'll have to go back then. That'll be much more fun. Kaelyn wasn't as animated around all of the kids and I was more nervous about letting her go very far, I stuck pretty close to her!

We were there for two house including lunch and I feel like we played with a lot! We might want to get a membership sometime because I don't really know if it's worth $7 to get in for the amount of time we play. But if it's really less busy this winter, we'll want somewhere to go and something to do to get out, so it might be a good thing to do then.

Today? Back to the zoo! :) It'll be nice again so we're headed back to our standby! And this weekend we're going to test out camping and see how that goes. I hope Kaelyn sleeps well with Sean and I sleeping RIGHT there! We'll have to get it figured out because we're going to Colorado Springs for a whole week in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment