Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mother's Day

I honestly don't remember my first mother's day. I'm sure sleep deprivation had something to do with that. I told Sean I didn't want him to buy me anything for mother's day but if Kaelyn wanted to make something, that'd be cool. So we'll see if she gets a chance! :)

This is a picture of my mom with Kaelyn when she was 4 months old or so. She seems so little!

Boy do I have a good example of a mom. She sure has taught me that being a mom and sacrificing NEVER ends beacuse she still does it to this day, even though I'm nearly 30 now.

I can't even describe what a great mom I have. She was there for me in every single instance. She always stood up for me. She always volunteered for the activities I was interested in...the writing workshop at school, girl scouts, you name it. She always drove my friends and I everywhere. She always made my lunches, even cutting the crust off and making the sandwiches neat shapes. And leaving cute notes in with the lunch too. She was always the mom all of my friends wished they had. From when I was little even through now. Once I got older she became one of my best friends and remains that today. All of my friends want to be her friend and she's always included in a lot of the outings because my friends are her friends too. And I like it that way. You should see the emails flying between my mom and I! On a day when the internet is down for whatever reason, one of us usually calls the other to make sure we're okay! :) It's very unusual to not have emails!

Now that Kaelyn is here, can you believe my mom drives 2 1/2 hours EVERY week to hang out with her for a day and give me a break? I go in to work for a few hours and get a ton done around the house. I keep asking, are you SURE you want to continue to drive this EVERY week? And she keeps doing it. I can't say that I don't want her to because I love having her here and I desperately need the break. But sometimes I feel like I'm taking advantage. However, that's one thing my mom has taught me about being a mom. When you're a mom your kid can't take advantage when you're willingly giving. It's only taking advantage if you, the mom, feels like it is. But I don't think my mom has ever felt that a day in her mothering life. She just gives and gives and gives. Willingly. Happily.

I can't even imagine how different I would be as a person or as a mom if I didn't have my mom as my mom. I don't even WANT to imagine. I'm SO lucky to have her in my life and to have her as my example. She's my best friend. She's my mentor. She's my mom. I love her with all my heart.

Happy mother's day to all moms out there, new and not so new! :)

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky!!!! Do you know what I realized today? That you - yes simply you alone - have taken away my anxiety about having a daughter. Until I started hanging out with you every week I had decided that if it was up to me I'd only want boys because otherwise I feared the worst case scenario for having a daughter. Instead, learning about your relationship with your mom and also seeing you with Kaelyn has taken away a lot of my fear because I see now that it IS possible to have the best case scenario! Thanks to you and your mom for being a great example to me without even meaning to or realizing it :-) Now I'm completely 50/50 as far as caring what the sex is of my next baby!

    P.S. I posted a couple of awards for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete