Sunday, June 6, 2010

Big Surprise

When Sean turned 30 I threw him a surprise party. Granted, I threw that party several months EARLY so he was REALLY surprised! His birthday is January 4th so with snow and holidays it's hard to get a party in. November was much better and even more surprising for him! :) Anyways, I guess he felt like he needed to get even!

At one point we'd talked about going camping over the weekend but it was suppose to rain so we didn't. I didn't think we really had any plans at all. Kaelyn and I went to neighborhood garage sales on my actual birthday, Friday. Sean said he had some ideas for what to do Saturday but wouldn't tell me. By his hints I was guessing a zoo visit. But come Saturday, it was raining pretty hard so he said we'd just get ready for the day and go shopping. Uh, okay! He didn't say where so we got ready and got in the car and ended up at Hy-vee. I was perplexed. I'm not much of a shopper as it is but what do you shop for at Hy-vee?! Sean headed for the bakery department so I thought, okay, maybe he's going to let me pick out a cake or bakery treat of some kind since we didn't really have one on my actual birthday. But he went up to the counter and asked for his cake (see above picture!) I saw what they handed him and was like, Sean, that's a HUGE cake! I thought there'd been a mistake! We couldn't eat that big of a cake just the two of us! Even though I DO love cake! Then I saw what it looked like and I said, "And it's ugly!" Apparently that's why he made it the way he made it! You see, I'm not a pink person...at ALL. Kaelyn wears pink often because if the outfit fits, it's clean, and on top of the pile, she'll wear it! But I just REALLY don't like pink. Hence the pink cake. Even a princess crown, how nice! :) No, I didn't wear the crown! :) Back to the story, so Sean picks up this big cake and I was sure there was a mistake but he said we were having a big party today. I was like what?! He said maybe 20-30 people were coming over to our house for my birthday, surprise! :) He figured it would be easier to reveal the surprise at that point because he needed to buy supplies and get things ready at home and I'm not the easiest person to get rid of, I guess! :)

So around 10:30am Sean's parents and grandma showed up and helped him with horrendous pink streamers and balloon decorations. Ugh. I would have preferred black. Sean's brother Joe and his wife Dacia and their little girl Nevaeh came just afternoon and Sean's brother Jason followed shortly after. Later in the day Sean's aunt Denise and uncle Tom as well as his uncle Brian and aunt Tryce and two cousins and Audry arrived as well. My parents didn't make it because they were on their way to an Alaskan cruise. And my sister and her family had my niece's soccer game and my nephew's tball pictures.

I wasn't surprised by Sean's family that came, that was to be expected once I found out there was a party. But when the party first REALLY began (at 2, the time he told most people to arrive) my friend September, her husband and daughter appeared! Someone (SEAN!) has been searching through my cell phone contacts! Not long after my friend Andrea and her husband and son arrived! Someone (SEAN!) has been searching through my email contacts! Our friends Katie and Kyle and their daughter Megan from church came later in the afternoon. And as if that wasn't enough, I almost had a heart attack from show, my friend from college, Stana and her mom came! See, they live in Tennessee!! So you can see why I would be surprised by that! Last I heard they were going to be coming back through the area MID-June on the way back to their home in South Dakota. So they're a little early!!

Kaelyn was really good at the party. When I first heard we were HAVING a party I wondered how she'd react. She has a tendency to be skittish around lots of commotion. She still stuck pretty close by but she did really well. She even played with several of the kids! Or at least near them!

It was a fun day. I kept getting drinks because I was talking so much my throat got dry. Especially after Stana got here! I convinced she and her mom to stay overnight so even after everyone else was gone we chatted until 10:30pm which is unheard of for me! :) That's way late in my world right now! And then Kaelyn decided 5:30am was wake up time this morning, ugh!

So to Sean, thanks for the fun party! Thanks for thinking of so many people that are important to me, family, friends, and everyone in between! :) And as for the cake, I WILL get even. Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I usually love pink but that was indeed the ugliest color of pink I've ever seen! Hopefully it tasted good :-) I'm glad you had such a great birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete