Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On our own!

Today is the last day my mom will be with us for three weeks! My parents are taking a cruise in Alaska so Kaelyn and I will be on our own. We have plans for a few days here and there, but mostly we're free. I hope to find more things to do so she doesn't get bored and realize it's JUST me and her for SO many days in a row! :)

My parents are HUGE Iowa Hawkeye fans. My dad got this outfit for Kaelyn for Christmas or her birthday or something! So she had to wear it over the weekend when we were with them. It's actually pretty cute! Being another sports fan team, my husband didn't care for it, but he still took cute pictures anyways!

Below is another of Kaelyn's birthday outfits. It's WAY cute but I had NO idea how hard those overalls are to put on a wiggly kid! VERY hard!

Not to get gross, but over the last few weeks Kaelyn has pooped in her bath a few times. It's SO hard to clean up! It greatly shortens bathtime, that's for sure! Kaelyn gets jerked out of the tub immediately and wrapped in her towel on the floor. Then she has to lay there while I drain the tub and try to clean up! Apparently I was infamous for doing just such things when I was little. Hence my nickname of tubby tootles. Only with me, it was worse, because my sister was in the bath with me! Poor thing. hehe I like to think I did it on purpose! :)

Speaking of bath, over memorial day weekend I succeeded in getting Kaelyn to bathe without her blow up duck tub. I took it to my parents house but decided not to use it for a few days and see how it went. In past trials, plenty of screaming ensued. The first day Kaelyn screamed the whole time but wasn't AS mad as she had been LAST time I tried. So I tried again the next day. She screamed MOST of the time but was also happy for periods of time too. The third day she yelped when she got into the water but calmed down fast and played. The fourth day she was happy the whole time. So yeah! No more duck tub! I deflated it to bring home. It'll be nice to not have to take it with us everywhere and now she has the WHOLE big tub for room! She won't outgrow that for awhile! :)

I still want to work on two things with her: dropping the nighttime nursing session, and get her to eat table food. I've tried lots of table foods and so far have had NO luck with anything. I thought about cutting her off of baby food and hoping she'd get hungry enough to at least TRY some things. But then I decided, she's only a little over 13 months old, maybe she just needs more time. So we'll continue experimenting with things and hope for the best. If she hasn't caught on by her 15 month doctor's check up, I'll ask them about it and perhaps try cutting her off.

So that leaves nursing to work on for now. I think I'll go through this week and maybe most, if not all, of the weekend, and perhaps try to stop nursing Kaelyn at night next week. This is our LAST nursing session so once it's gone, we'll officially be done nursing. As much as I like that idea it's also sad. It's something I may NEVER do again, who knows. And it's such a sweet time to cuddle and bond. Some days, when Kaelyn is on the go all the time, it's the only time she slows down to cuddle with me! I hope it's an easy transition. So far weaning the rest hasn't been TOO hard. And I don't think she really NEEDS to nurse that much anymore. I think it's more of a relaxation thing. But still, it's been her habit for over a year, so it'll be hard to drop. Wish us luck!

And wish Kaelyn luck putting up with ONLY me for the next three weeks! May she be able to get by! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment