Thursday, June 17, 2010

Father's Day

Father's Day is coming up this weekend. My parents have told us not to get them gifts anymore for Father's Day/Mother's day, their birthdays, anniversary, things like that. They don't need anything and are happy with simple cards and a phone call. But Kaelyn wore an Iowa Hawkeye cheerleading outfit a few weeks ago and we took pictures so I got a 5x7 of that for my dad to hang in his basement Hawkeye bathroom. Couldn't resist!

My dad was quite the trick-playing father. He used to pour cold water on my sister and I when we were showering. I remember we were on a walk one time and he yelled "SNAKE!" threw his arms in front of us and then catapulted himself into a neighbor's yard, tackling a big black drain hose. He did that trick another time in our house with a simple piece of licorice. My mom went out of town shopping once when I was in third grade. This was before the days of cell phones. I got sick at school, as in threw up, how embarrassing, but everyone did it, it seems! :) So they called my dad at work and he had to come pick me up. We went home and did he make me chicken noodle soup? (Not that I ate soup anyways!) No! He put me in the bugger (the thing you drag behind the bike) and rode to the new house we were building. I was in my pjs and robe probably pale as a sheet. When I got to high school he and my mom enjoyed attending the football games because I was in the marching band. Did he sit and clap along or watch quietly with the other parents? No, he stood up and did the cabbage patch (a strange type of dance) or the macarena or whatever other WAY cool moves he could come up with! My dad wasn't your typical dad. But, as much as I make fun of him, I wouldn't have it any other way. Our way of affection is a strange one. Poking fun and playing pranks, but hey, it works for us! And I know he loves me and I certainly love him.

I don't really have TOO many pictures of Sean with Kaelyn because he's always the one TAKING the pictures. But some of the ones from when she's first born are sure precious. Boy does she love her daddy! He comes home and starts right in on tickling her and she just squeals. He'll be in the kitchen and she'll sneak in, HOPING he will see her. And when he does she turns and RUNS and he chases and usually catches her and the tickling begins all over. When he catches her and tickles she squeals and pushes his hands away. But when he stops she pulls his hand back in again like, do it again! Back when Kaelyn woke up in the middle of the night when I started sending Sean in to pat her back to sleep, I used to tell him she woke up because she MISSED him! :) Probably true! He probably didn't care WHAT she missed at 3am! :) I feel that pain! Kaelyn is going to have SO much fun with her daddy in years to come. I can already see how her eyes light up when she sees him. He's going to teach her to golf someday and they're going to be quite the buddies! Perhaps she'll even talk him into doing her hair and playing dolls with her. If she's into that someday. If not, cars and trucks here we come!

Happy Father's day to all dad's out there! Especially my dad, my great father in law, and my husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment