Friday, June 11, 2010

Fingers...watch out for birds!

As you may remember from earlier posts, Kaelyn loves to put her finger in things. Straws, drains, toys, my nose, whatever is available. We went to the zoo this week (can you believe it?! Twice actually!) and we arrived first thing in the morning at 8:30 so there weren't many people there. We went into the butterfly building and went into the side with the bugs and waterfalls and birds etc. Kaelyn's favorite part of that area is this waterfall enclosed by a net with birds in it. She seems to really enjoy ALL the waterfalls at the zoo. And these particular birds are friendly. They sit on branches near the side and move around a lot so she really watches them.

We were the ONLY ones in the butterfly building that morning so we were having a good time running around. She was really watching the birds and waterfall and I saw someone come in. It was one of the zookeepers and I glanced up for ONE second. This just goes to show you what can happen in ONE second! When I was watching Kaelyn she was standing by the net, hands are her side, watching the birds all wide eyed. The birds were standing on the other side watching her back! I look up for a second and when I look back down she has her finger THROUGH the netting and a bird has its ENTIRE beak around her finger! I'm not sure if she put her finger in bird's mouth (which I wouldn't put past her since she SO enjoys putting her finger in things) or if the bird put its beak around her finger! Either way, she was pretty cool about it. I was like AH! And she looked at me like "way cool, mama, look what I'm doing!!!" She seemed to really enjoy it. Thankfully the bird must have been gentle and wasn't really biting and didn't have a sharp beak. It was just holding her finger. But sheesh, one SPLIT second of glancing up and that's what happened! You just never know, huh!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is amazing! I had to laugh - I'm glad that was a nice bird!

    ReplyDelete