Monday, March 8, 2010

Zoo Visit




Kaelyn and I had all day Saturday with no plans so we decided a trip to the zoo was in order. Rain was in the forecast but it stayed dry during the time we wanted to go. It worked out well, she napped in the car on the way there, nursed when we got there and then we headed in. It was still a little damp and chilly so we wanted to look at the inside stuff and not walk around much outside. We started with the aquarium because last time we went, which was MONTHS ago, Kaelyn really liked it in there. She liked it again. We watched the penguins for a long time. Not too many were swimming but when they did she was all eyes. She flailed her arms a bit but mostly sat there calmly in the stroller. Next came the fish. They were so bright and full of motion, she probably could have sat there all day watching them. But no, mama made her move on! :)

I was actually pleasantly surprised. When we decided to visit the zoo I expected to enter the aquarium and stay in there the whole time. I figured Kaelyn would want out of the stroller and we would just walk, crawl, and wander that one area. But she sat so nice and calm I decided to branch out farther. Not far from the aquarium is the elevator that takes you down to the level with the gorillas and monkeys. I thought they might be full of motion and enjoyable to watch for awhile. The gorilla part was cold and empty. We were disappointed walking through there. But then we got to a more indoor part of the gorilla area and there they were! One huge gorilla was even climbing ropes and swinging around. I'm pretty sure Kaelyn saw him (or her!) Otherwise, though, she more enjoyed watching the people around her and playing with her hat. Of all things! We came to the zoo to look at animals and you're looking at people!

We thought about strolling through the cat complex but time was starting to run short and I didn't want to get too far away from the entrance in case she wanted out of the stroller. So we went back up the elevator. I thought about going through the aquarium one more time before leaving but decided to give the jungle a shot. Last time we were at the zoo, Kaelyn was in the stroller for like 5 minutes of the jungle. Then we went through a dark cave and she freaked out. I had to put her in the tummy pack and carry her that way the rest of the time. Much to my back's dismay. Pushing the stroller at the same time wasn't easy either. So I was pretty brave, I thought, to try the jungle. MY glasses fogged up so badly upon entering I had to take them off for awhile. Boy it was warm in there! Kaelyn was so nice and calm in the stroller I thought we had it made. Then I bumped a wall. Startled her. The screaming began. I couldn't get her to calm down so I had to take her out and carry her. With NO tummy pack. AND try to steer the stroller. So we didn't much enjoy the jungle. We hightailed it through there and got back outside. She was okay going back in the stroller once we were out and we headed back to the car to get home for lunch. I wonder if she would have been okay in there had I not bumped the wall and scared her. Until then she was all eyes and enjoying the view. Such a bad driver, I am! :)

Since we got a zoo pass for Christmas from Sean's parents I really want to go every week or so. Especially if Kaelyn enjoys the stroller okay like she did this past weekend. And especially when the weather gets nicer. Or if she can walk better on her own, that'd be okay too, just as long as I don't have to carry her! AND push a stroller! :) We're busy all this week but I'm thinking another visit should be in store the week after. It's a great way to kill time. Fun for her to see all the action, and I sure enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment