Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tantrums


Kaelyn isn't yet one year old and when you see her sweet face you think no way could she EVER throw a tantrum! A friend of mine has an almost 2 year old and has described how those things occur at times. Sometimes the child wants to do something himself but can't and refuses help. Sometimes he wants to eat but isn't allowed and melts down. Sometimes for no reason at all. It seems to be a common thing for kids around that age. They can't quite communicate fully and get frustrated and they want what they want and instead of being adult about it they throw a fit.

When I see kids freak out in the store I often wonder, will Kaelyn do that? Sure she will at some point or another. At home, in public, a little of both. It's what kids do. I've already seen a tiny bit of it. In the grocery store Kaelyn just LOVES to snatch my credit card and play with it. That's all fine and good, I guess...except for when I need to swipe the card! I got out the card one time, she reached for it, I wouldn't give it to her, she screamed at me.

I let Kaelyn play in our tupperware cabinet. Kitchen drawers are pretty much free reign. But the china cabinet...a different story! She opened that door once and when she gets into a cabinet she likes to toss things out and see what sound they make on the floor. She grabbed a piece of my grandmother's crystal and I grabbed her! I wouldn't let her toss the china can you imagine the nerve? Boy did she yell at me!

Kids want what they want and they don't understand that you don't let them do just anything for their best interest. They don't have reasoning mechanisms yet and they don't understand why they can't have what they want or do what they want. So they scream. They throw a fit. They can't communicate exactly what they're feeling and that frustrates them so the meltdown begins.

Fortunately, with Kaelyn, for now, it's short lived. I distract her with something else and that's that. I just wonder what she'll be like when she's older and more prone to such events. I hope she's an easy, sweet child. But I'm positive there will be moments. And I dread those moments. I love her so much I just HATE when I feel frustrated with her or when we have a bad day and my husband comes home and I pass her off because I just can NOT entertain her anymore. I hate needing a break. Everyone does, I suppose. But on the good days, I want to play with her till the world ends! I just wish all days were good days. Sign me up for more of those!

Only time will tell what Kaelyn will be like when she approaches 2 and beyond. I hope the tantrums are minimal and easy enough for me to handle. I'm pretty sensitive to her screams. I think sometimes they hurt me way more than they do her!

No comments:

Post a Comment