Saturday, July 17, 2010

Colorado Trip-traveling

We're back from our trip to Colorado! I tried to keep track of what we did on what days so I could blog about it when we returned. So unless something exciting happens, my next several blogs will be about our vacation.

We left for Colorado at 7:30am Friday July 9th. I must admit I wasn't looking forward to the long drive. But that first day, Kaelyn was an AWESOME little traveler! We traveled for 7 hours that day, on and off, and Kaelyn slept only for about two of those hours. When she was awake she poked her alphabet apple toy and a few others. She was perfectly happy as long as I
WASN'T in the back with her. Go figure! So I stayed up front!

We first stopped in Kearney at 10:30am so Sean could visit a job site. It was at the fairgrounds so that left Kaelyn and I in a big field. She explored and ran around. It was good to stretch those legs!

As you can see the trip made her become a bit of a two fisted drinker. One water, one milk!

On our drive on Saturday, my parents, who were also going out that day, passed us THREE times! We didn't see any of Sean's family. We're guessing they passed us when we were stopped at Kearney.

We didn't make it all the way to Colorado Springs that first day. I figured Kaelyn had had enough of the carseat and we didn't want her to sleep TOO long during her naps and then not at night. So we stopped at a Walmart near Brush, CO. It's pretty nice that walmart lets you camp in their parking lots. There were lots of truckers and other campers there along with us. We ate at Wendy's and then Kaelyn had a GREAT time running around Walmart. She found a frisbee that she threw down just about every aisle she could find. Then she found a volleyball, still in the box, that she enjoyed tossing a bit. I think she would have stayed there longer! But as we went back out to the camper, she also enjoyed playing in the landscaping.

Then came the true test, after being in the car for most of the day, would she sleep that night? Yep! We let her stay up a little bit later...a whole 15 minutes! But she went RIGHT to sleep...AND slept till 7am the next morning! REALLY late for her!! We decided it would be easier to keep her on our time. Colorado Springs is an hour difference. That was source of MAJOR confusion for me the WHOLE trip! I was always talking Nebraska time and needed to stop and think about what time it was THERE! So, Kaelyn getting up at 7am was really getting up at 6am THEIR time. And we ate lunch at 11:30, which is 10:30 THEIR time. So we were early to rise, early to eat, early to bed, but what do you do! We didn't have to readjust when we got back home and it seemed easier not to mess with her anymore than we already were!

I was quite pleasantly surprised by our first day of travel. Kaelyn barely complained at all and was a much better rider than I expected. Stay tuned for details on day two and on the actual vacation once we arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment